Friday, February 10, 2006

Return To IM Langkawi - The Course

Extracted the following from IronmanLive regarding the forthcoming IM Langkawi:

“The safe and “doable” course for Ironman Langkawi takes competitors through local villages as well as the water front area of Kuah town in which the race is based.
>
>
The swim is a one-lap swim in Kuah Bay, starting and finishing alongside the giant eagle statue that dominates the Jetty Point port area. The bike course is three laps on a basically flat road with the transition to the run being held at Eagle Square. The run is over a four-lap course, which is flat and partly shaded. Because of the heat there will be aid stations every one-kilometer on the run.”
>
>
Phew!!! If I interpret the above correctly, I guess we won’t be missing the climb up Datai on the bike leg this time around. If you have been there before you would know what I am talking about. Sure, it is just a hill but climb it after riding >140 - 150km. And for most of us amateur triathletes, we would probably reach there on the second loop of the bike leg at around 1.00 -3.00 p.m. – climbing the Datai section with tired legs under the hot sun and not forgetting with another 42km to run thereafter - left me asking myself “Why on earth am I doing this??” when I was there back in 2004. That experience back in 2004 was the reason I incorporated some hill work into my training this time around.
>
>
The u-turn buoy in the one-lap swim will once again take me forever to reach. The four-lap run course (as opposed to the 3-lapper in 2004) will see heavier traffic, which in my humble opinion, will be good as we will be seeing more of each other during the marathon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've seen different versions of exactly how many laps there be, so maybe have to wait 'til we get to the island (we are flying up Thursday evening). I hope it is more shorter laps. Then it is closer to rescue and more chance for supporters to see and cheer and photo us. It's a psychological game to think "ok, just 10km more run" or "1km swim - doable", rather than the unfathomable 42km ahead of you. I'm still 50%:50% if I can race and complete it. My back gives pain after a couple hours on the bike or 15km run, but as they say "Nothing is Impossible". Steve