Tuesday, March 22, 2011

RAN OUT OF FUEL

Sunday, 20 March 2011


Literally ran out of fuel in a 30km run. Started late at 8.15 a.m. and suffered the consequence. Half an hour into the run, it became apparent that it was going to be a hot and sunny morning.


Started from home in Puchong. Ran to Lim Kok Wing University in Cyberjaya via Bandar Bukit Puchong 2/ Kampung Meranti and back - one of my favourite routes for a long run.


With Energizer Nite Marathon in less than a month away, I desperately needed the mileage. I thot I had enough water with me - 1.2 litres in four 300ml flasks on my Fuel Belt. Also, had 4 packets of Power Gels with me. Coupled with a near zero training since last Sunday's Bareno Run, a 30km at easy pace would have been routine.


However, things started to fall apart after 20km. Energy level dipped and the Power Gels couldn't turn things around. The heat started to get to me and my flasks were running dry pretty quickly. I was reduced to a slow jog, then walk - jog - walk - jog. My tank was empty by km25 and I ended up walking the last 5km.


I was both mentally and physically defeated by the heat and the distance. Mental defeat because for the 1st time ever in training, I took a short cut home. The last that it has ever felt this bad in training must have been the 40km run back in Janury 2007, while training for Ironman Langkawi that year.



Am seriously considering giving the Energizer Nite Marathon a miss.

No comments: