Friday, February 02, 2007

WEEK 17 - DOUBLE METRIC CENTURY

22 - 28 JANUARY 2007
>
MONDAY - EZ RECOVERY SWIM
>
Left calf still in pain and legs kept sinking, courtesy of cramps sustained during Sunday's Long Run. Lap times plunged to new lows - even slower than when I first started swmming seriously. Did 8x100 + 4x100 (with pull buoy) and retired early.
>
TUESDAY - BIKE TRAINER AT BURSA
>
Still limping. Calf still stiff and running was impossible. Could spin (seated) on trainer though. Did 1x20km spin + 25 x (30seconds All Out/ 30 seconds EZ) until I saw STARS.
>
WEDNESDAY - 1X4100m SWIM
>
Program given by Coach Don for the day was simple - just jump in at 8.00 p.m. sharp and swim 1x5000m. Had no doubt in my mind that I could not possibly cover that distance in the 1 1/2 hour window. Hence, my personal target right from the start was only 1x4000. My longest swim todate was only a 1x3000 logged early Jan 2007. Hence, a 1x4000 would be a big jump.
>
Glad the legs were stronger now and did not sink too much. 1st 1500 split was not too bad but my 500m splits slipped to >11:00 in the rest of the swim. Mis-counted my laps and ended up swimming 1x4100 in 1:29:14.
>
THURSDAY - TRIED TO RUN AGAIN
>
Left calf was still very stiff. Went for the run anyway and hoped legs wld loosen up later. Ran out from office (Bursa Malaysia building) to KLCC. Did 3 loops at KLCC park and calf got tighter. Walked back to Bursa and wondered when I wld get to really run again.
>
FRIDAY - EZ DRILLS AT THE POOL
>
Good break from the usual long swims or intervals. Did 1x100 + 1x600 paddles with pull buoy (P+PB) + 1x600 front crawl with Fins + 9x50 sculling + 8x50 one-arm pull + 8x50 various strokes + 1x500 (P+PB).
>
SATURDAY - 90km TIME TRIAL @ PUTRAJAYA AGAIN
>
This was one of those sessions I must do again b4 tapering. Glad that my sore left calf has recovered fully. Again, started the TT after the usual 8km warm-up along Meranti.
>
1st 30km 56:23 (Ave Speed 31.92km/h)
2nd 30km 56:21 (Ave Speed 31.94km/h)
Last 30km 58:13 (Ave Speed 30.92km/h)
>
Overall Time 2:50:57
Overall Ave Speed 31.59km/h
>
Very pleased with split at 1st 30km (Cyberjaya and KLIA Toll out & back). Despite the long hill at end of Persiaran Selatan (highway behind PICC) and a traffic jam at Precinct 1 Round About, I managed a similar split in the 2nd 30km (Persiaran Selatan - Precinct 1 - LimKokWing).
>
In last 30km (LimKokWing-KLIA Toll out & back-Cyberjaya-Meranti), held an average speed of 35-38km/h riding out toward KLIA Toll due to a tail wind but struggled to hold 28km/h after the u-turn due to a head wind (held around 34km/h both ways earlier in 1st 30km). Remained windy along Cyberjaya and Meranti. Overall average speed dipped to 31.59km/h.
>
SUNDAY - DOUBLE METRIC CENTURY
>
Bdr Bkt Puchong 2 (BBP2) - Meranti - LimKokWing - Cyber Heights - Persiaran Selatan (behind PICC) - Saujana Desa - BB Bangi - Kajang - SILK - Semenyih - Broga - Ulu Beranang - Lenggeng - Setul - Seremban (u-turn) - Setul - Lenggeng - Broga - Semenyih - Nirwana - Tekala - Dam - Peres Junction - Peres Summit (u-turn) - Peres Junction - Gabai - 18th Mile - 14th Mile - Bkt Ampang - Tmn Putra Cheras
>
Ride plan for the day would be different - start from home at BBP2 and end at Tmn Putra in Cheras. The first 50 km was quite an adventure. For the 1st time ever, I ventured out from home at BBP2 and headed for Seremban via Putrajaya. Left the familiar Putrajaya territory after an interchange along the highway behind PICC. Have always thot that the interchange would lead me to Puchong-Kajang Highway. But immediately after the interchange, the road narrows into a single lane old trunk road. Thanks to the prominent road signs (pointing twds Kajang), I managed not to get lost that morning. After some 5-10km, I came to a junction that looked very familiar. Then, it donned on me that I hv been there only a few weeks ago with the Chin Woo gang en-route to Lukut. Followed the road signs to Kajang and found myself riding thru B.B. Bangi (the lake garden, Pharmaniaga, Equitorial Hotel are the few landmarks I cld remember). When I got to Kajang, I turned into the SILK highway and headed towards Semenyih.
>
Back to familiar territory at Semenyih and slowly found my way to Seremban via Broga & Setul. Thru'out the Lenggeng-Setul climb, there were markings on the tarmac for the upcoming LTdL. There was one particular marking that I remembered very well and it says
>
"KOM Summit LTdL" - king of the mountains summit Le Tour de Langkawi
>
Reached Chung Hwa High in Seremban b4 noon and logged only 92km. Had a short break at the same sugar cane stall and started the return leg. Weather was a sharp contrast from the cool & cloudy conditions I enjoyed in the last ride to Seremban on 31/12/06. It was typical CNY weather - sunny and bloody windy. Started to plan where I would make a detour on the return leg to make sure I log 200km that day. My options were Peres Climb or a detour to Jln Tekali (left turn at 14th mile junction just b4 last Bkt Ampang Climb). Due to the hot sun, Seremban - Setul - Lenggeng- Broga - Semenyih felt like forever. Had another pit stop at Broga to replenish my bottles. Semenyih - Nirwana - Dam was very windy and hotter.
>
Decided to go for the Peres Climb when I got to Peres Junction. I hv logged 156km by then. Hesitated as it was hot and sunny at base of climb but I climbed it anyway. Did not time myself but I think it took my about 35 minutes to reach the summit. Half way up the climb, the clouds came in. Coupled with the shades from the trees, the air turned cool and made the climb somewhat pleasant. Some girls in a car coming down the hill blew me a flying kiss for reasons unknown to me.
>
The legs felt fresher after the cruise down form Peres summit. Peres J to 18th was a breeze. Had another short sugar cane break at 18th. By the time I got to the base of the Bkt Ampang climb, I hv logged 193km. Climbed that beast in 17:18. Much slower than the 14:46 I logged on 31/12/06 but 17:18 was not too bad after such a long day. Reached Tmn Putra at around 4.45 p.m. and set a new longest ride record of 202km (up 1km from 201km logged in 2004).
>
Nutrition/ hydration for the day - tuna sandwiches for breakfast, 1800 ml Gatorade, 975 ml 100-PLUS, 2000 ml sugar cane juice, 1 PowerBar, 1 PowerGel, a slice of watermelon & Endurox Rcovery Drink at the end of ride.
>
Pit stops - 2 pee stops at Cyber Heights (KM15) & summit of Lenggeng - Setul climb (KM75), 2 sugar cane stops at Seremban (KM92) and 18th Mile (KM186) and 1 refill stop at Broga (KM140). Hours on the saddle - 8:23:21. Average speed - 24.1km/h.

No comments: