Thursday, March 01, 2007

WE ARE GONNA BE IRONMEN

“We are gonna be Ironmen” I said to the last guy I passed a few hundred meters from the finish line. He didn’t mind me passing him, not a bit. He was all smiles (and a true gentleman) and said to me “You are running faster, please go ahead”. From the accent, I knew he is Japanese.

“Never As Good As The First Time” (Sade) was dead wrong…it certainly felt so much better this time. I found myself laughing out loud from the heart. I walked the last few meters, not wanting it to end. Then, I saw Whit Raymond (the race MC) flipping the name list and announced over the PA system “Two…….Six…………….Six………….Kai Mun Chee……from…..” Before he could finish, I screamed to the crowd “FROM MALAYSIA!!!!!!” I was damn proud to be a Malaysian at that very moment.

I crossed the finish line a few seconds later in 13:45:55, with almost 15 minutes to spare from my target of 14 hours.


Full race report coming up.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sooooo proud of you, bi.

cheekaimun said...

Thanks Babe

fook said...

chee.
congratulation on finishing ur ironman,
fook

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! I'm so proud of you too :)

Keipo said...

I got one of u finishing foto..if u want..pls email me..teyet@yahoo.com

I am Tey,PM22..fook's running friend.

Anonymous said...

Chee, it is easier the 2nd time, as the unknown is predictable and the fear of DNF and never proving it is gone. Congrats. Steve